Thursday 20 March 2008

To Inspect Or Not To Inspect?

After you've made an offer on your chosen property, your agent may well recommend that you get an inspection done (undertaken by an independent inspector). This is like a very simple survey of the property; it does NOT, however, cover any structural aspects of the property. It is merely a "visual inspection of the general systems and components of the home", to quote from my inspection paperwork. Your agent should be able to book an inspection on your behalf.

The inspection on my one bedroom flat cost $120. I received back a document detailing the interior of the flat, electrical items, appliances, plumbing, and air conditioning/heating. Each section merely lists the elements that your property contains and either what they're made of (e.g. Interior Doors: Wood; Walls: Drywall & Plaster), or what make they are (Stove/Oven: GE, Electric), and, where appropriate, whether they "appear servicable" or are "not functional".

The inspection should also detail if anything appears broken or not as it should be. I only had two such things listed, both of which were minor. Having not had the experience myself, I am not 100% sure on this, but I assume that if the inspection revealed any major damage this would then need to be discussed further with the vendor and their agent.

Top Tip: You don't HAVE to get an inspection - it is not mandatory by any means. Whether or not you do get one done may obviously also depend on your circumstances and the type of property you're buying. I opted for an inspection as I figured it would be a good way of finding out everything in the flat, and also for piece of mind. (Remember, I did my whole property purchase from the U.K.!)

No comments: