Wednesday 2 July 2008

Recommend Restaurants In Southeast Florida - Upscale

As promised, I'm going to share with you some of the restaurants and bars I enjoyed during my stay in southeast Florida. I've come to realise that I treated myself rather a lot during my stay - but hey, I was on holiday! I went to a wide variety of places so rather than bombard you with everything in one post, I'm going to concentrate on upscale restaurants first.

The Conrad Hotel for Sunday Brunch 1395 Brickell Avenue, Miami 33131
Wow, what a find! The Conrad Hotel in downtown Miami features a beautiful restaurant on its 25th Floor, aptly named Level 25. The all-you-eat buffet brunch costs $55 - yes, that may seem a little pricey, but it's worth it. The quality and choice of food is amazing - it includes breakfast (various types of eggs cooked in front of you; waffles, pancakes, bacon and so on), sandwiches, mixed salads, a carvery section, cold meats and cheese, seafood, sushi, and gorgeous cakes. They'll also offer you three additional dishes cooked to order - I had scrambled eggs infused with truffle oil. Also included are unlimited champagne, mimosas and bloody marys. Best of all, the views over Biscayne Bay are amazing! Brunch served between 11am to 2.30pm.

Johnny V 625 E Las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale 33301
What a find! My friend and I decided to spend a bit of time in Fort Lauderdale one morning, checking out the beach and so on. For lunch, we decided on "somewhere on Las Olas Boulevard", mainly because there seemed to be a bit of choice there, lots of cafes and similar. Not looking for anything especially fancy, we walked past this place and got enticed by the rather exciting menu. Johnny V has a fantastic range of dishes - think comfort food with a twist. I had the "Kentucky Hot Brown" which was essentially a turkey, bacon and cheese melted sandwich. I was expecting something low-key, but it arrived beautifully presented as an open sandwich on focaccia bread, served in a cooking pan. There seemed to be a very extensive wine and drinks list. Good service as well.

Blue Moon Fish Co. 4405 West Tradewinds Avenue, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea 33308
Located in a fantastic spot, right on the Intracoastal Waterway, the Blue Moon Fish Co. is a superb fish and seafood restaurant, as the name might suggest. It's very popular, though, so you might want to reserve a table prior to your visit - especially if you want an outdoor one. It helps if you have a very healthy appetite if you come to this restaurant; because everything on the menu looked so delicious I ordered a starter (which I don't normally do when I eat out). When my (pan seared, fresh shucked) oysters arrived, I couldn't believe the size of the portion! It meant I could barely finish my main, the sauteed yellow snapper.

Christine's 2671 E. Oakland Park Blvd., Fort Lauderdale 33306
Christine's is a new restaurant (opened this year) and it certainly shows with its sleek interior. This place serves modern American cuisine. Music is played on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings - on the night we went (Friday) soothing live jazz played up by the bar area. I had the tasty duck breast with edamame and apricot sauce, with the delicious caramelized banana cheesecake as dessert.

Check back for other restaurant reviews soon!


Photo June 2008 - Blue Moon Fish Co.

No comments: