Monday 25 February 2008

Introducing the Agents

Whether or not you've found a suitable property through a portal, it's now time to contact some agents. And this, I'm afraid, is where it starts to get difficult.

Seeing as I'm based in the UK and I'm buying in Florida, clearly the easiest method of communication for me is email. Moreover, having some experience of property-buying in the UK, I was used to get regular updates of new properties by email.

I identified six different agents on the Sun Sentinel portal, whose websites and email addresses I then looked up. I emailed them all with a brief message, explaining what and why I was looking to buy in my chosen area. Out of the six, only one replied!

No, I don't know if my experience was a "blip" and that normally agents are much keener to email back. But what I do know is that I was rather disappointed by the poor response.

I was however extremely fortunate that the one agent that did respond turned out to be incredibly friendly and helpful - and especially so with my initial questions. I would thoroughly recommend the agent I used. Please contact me (
webmaster@miamibound.com) if you'd like to discuss this further.

Top Tip: What with modern technology and cheap international calls there is, of course, nothing to prevent you from calling up agents! However, when I tried this tack, the agent (not the one mentioned above) kept mentioning my need to be in the area so he could show me properties. Whilst I don't disagree with him, when you're setting out on the buying process, the last thing you want is to be pressured into viewings. Certainly, in the early days, I was more interested in getting my queries about buying in Florida resolved.

No comments: